Saturday, February 4, 2017

Module 3 - Miscues

So I found this module fascinating, I remember when I wrote papers in school, I would occasionally see red writing above what I had written. My teachers would always need to review one-on-one with me what the red writing meant, simply because I could not see it. If I remember right, sp was used to represent a spelling mistake, but I’m not certain about this. In reading the directions for how to perform a miscue analysis, I kept thinking to myself, ‘but how am I going to do this?’ I understand what the purpose of this is, to represent what a reader does if they read a word or phrase incorrectly. I think I would read along with them using my own braille copy then I would go back and make markings later. I originally thought I might do this in an excel spreadsheet with each word in their own box and leave a blank line below each line of text and then I could make the comments in the box below or above the word. I haven’t decided if this method will work or not. I’m not going to be able to use some of the symbols and didn’t understand all of them because they are graphical but I got the point of the exercise. I think what I could use would be a chart with the words that I can use. For example, if they made a substitution, I would need to be able to use a letter for my notes to represent this in a form of shorthand. At least, that is what this sounds like to me, a method of shorthand. The recording would allow me to go back and actually write the notes.

2 comments:

  1. During my first and second year of teaching I had a hard time remembering the symbols for the reading assessment. The more you do it you will get use to it. Also, I hope your plan works out for the excel chart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nancy,
    Your module reflections should be posted in the Strategies in Practice discussion threads in blackboard. Your blog posts are for your reflections on your book length text. There is a five point rubric in the syllabus explaining blog posts and comments to peers and a two point rubric in the syllabus explaining strategies in practice reflections. Let me know if you have any questions. Sincerely, Dawn and Melissa

    ReplyDelete