Saturday, March 18, 2017

Blog 4: Chapter 10-Assessment

According to Johnson and Keier (2010), "Formative, ongoing assessments by teachers and students
based on daily work need to be the mainstay." Our day to day teaching should not be determined by
results of standardized tests or computerized end of book tests because the data is just not enough to
guide instruction (Johnson and Keier, 2010). In this chapter, Johnson and Keier (2010) state that
literacy behaviors from students should be observed by teachers throughout the day during reading,
writing, and conferencing. Teachers should make notes on the behaviors they observe (Johnson and Keier, 2010). The observations show students who are struggling, as well as students who are ready to move on. I use this information in my classroom to determine my small groups, whether it is for text levels or reading strategies. In this chapter, I love this quote from Fountas and Pinnell, "You cannot see into children's minds, but their behaviors can guide your teaching decision" (Johnson and Keier, 2010). This quote means a lot to me because I believe when we observe our students reading behaviors and analyze the behaviors it shows us some of what goes on in their mind while reading. Based on the text, I agree that teachers should focus on all readers, but more time should be spent with the struggling readers. In my classroom, I meet with my struggling readers three times a week and my other groups one to two times a week. I assign my strong group of readers a book to read during the week. When they meet with me they discuss the book and strategies or skills they used while reading. When I work with my struggling readers, I model how to use strategies, and allow practice time as I listen to one child read a page or pages. Then, we discuss the strategies and how they were effective. Some of the assessment tools discussed were informal assessments such as anecdotal notes during conferences, shared reading, guided reading, and writing. Formal assessments discussed were benchmarks, running records, and adopted tests (Johnson and Keier, 2010). I actually thought running records were formal and informal. I thought running records from classroom leveled texts were informal, and assessments such as Fountas and Pinnell were the formal running records. This is something I am curious about. Although I have been teaching for six years I just learned the importance of conferences about two years ago. I would hear about it during professional development, but finally was show how to conduct a conference two years ago. This year my conferences are even better because I had a lot of practice. One "ah-ha" moment for me after reading the chapter was making sure the student is actually enjoying the book. I always focus on the strategies that I loss focus on the student's enjoyment. The text discussed the issue of finger pointing while reading. I can relate because I had a parent just this past week who asked me if it was okay to have his daughter point while she read because constantly loss her place or skipped lines while reading. I told him I do not encourage it because it slows down the reader. I told him to just encourage her to reread when he notices her error. Lastly, I like how this chapter discussed how to organize assessment data.. I am in the process of reorganizing my data notebook to include a binder with notebook tabs that include: class grid forms, class list for each month, guided reading planning sheet, and individual student forms. At my new school the data notebook was already created, but I plan to reorganize it to meet my expectations so that I can manage it better and monitor my students growth better.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Shameeka,

    This was a great and very informative post. I liked reading how you grouped your struggling readers and your "ready to move on" readers into small groups. You gave your struggling readers a little more attention than your "ready to move on" readers which was most effective. I also found that the students are able to use the strategies we teach them when we model how to use strategies as well. Great job all around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shameeka,

    "You cannot see into children's minds, but their behaviors can guide your teaching decision." I like this quote as well and agree that we can learn a lot by observing. I'm glad that you brought up that the books need to be interesting to the student because this helps them be motivated to read. I also enjoyed reading the strategies that you use for your struggling readers. I'm thankful that when I become a teacher, I'll have heard about lots of experiences, strategies, and ideas about assessments and observing that I learned from classmates, as well as the texts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shameeka,
    I, too loved your use of the Fountas and Pinnell quote about how we can't see into our students' minds but we can observe their behaviors and use that formative data to guide our instruction. You did a thorough job of summarizing this chapter and sharing specific strategies on assessment that you use with your students when you meet with them three times a week. I consider running records and/or miscue analysis formative assessments because I am doing those continuously to help me progress monitor. Sometimes schools may use them as "benchmarks" periodically to determine progress and to make instructional decisions and those too, are considered formative in nature. I appreciate how you are taking what you are learning from the text and this class and applying it into your practice. I know the way you are organizing your data notebook will help provide you with more ownership over this process.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn and Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great discussion, Shameeka. I use formative assessment in my daily teaching. I use explicit direct instruction which is very useful when it comes to using a variety of formative assessments with my diverse learners. I have students keep daily journals, use whiteboards with dry erase markers and tissue, exit slips, etc. I monitor my students' knowledge and performance at least two or three times a day. Formative assessment is a great way to progress monitor your students.

    ReplyDelete