Chapter nine, Spotlight on Inferring and Summarizing, focuses
on ways to make sure students fully grasp the comprehension strategies taught
to them. Comprehension strategies such as questioning, visualizing, inferring,
and summarizing are discussed throughout this chapter. Chapter nine begins by
giving great insight into how teachers incorporate whole class discussions and
inferring on a daily basis during story time. A powerful statement that I found
on reading stories to children is, “The beauty of storytelling is that the
children have to create their own images, depending on the words of the story
alone with no picture support. The point is to allow discussions to spring
naturally from the ideas, confusions, connections, or questions that the
students have”. In the past, I found it somewhat frustration when I would do
storytelling or read-alouds with discussions throughout the story. I would
always have students throw out comments that confused their classmates. The
frustration would come from not knowing how to teach the students how to
separate from making assumptions to making inferences. As the text stated, “Inferring
is one strategy that we find often causes confusion for some teachers; it can
be difficult to define and teachers can be unsure of how to teach for it”. The
best way I learned to solve this issues is to model it for the students. I made
inferences about a story as I read to the class.
Before reading this chapter, I thought inferring was
basically predicting, but inferring is much more than that. Inferring is
basically figuring out something that the author doesn’t actually say within
the story. Predicting is guessing and inferring is using context clues within a
story to search for a fact. An example of inferring from the chapter is: “We
read this sentence to any class of students-“The children put on their mittens
and scarves and went out in the snow to play-then ask them, “What season is
it?” and they always know it is winter”. This chapter raised my awareness of
inferring and its importance.
After chapter nine focuses on inferring, the next
focus is on teaching summarizing to students. From the text, I learned how to
successfully model summarizing for young students. “When a reader summarizes he
or she: deletes unimportant information, highlights important words or phrases,
and puts ideas in his or her own words. Students need to hear you think aloud
and see you do these things: cross out extra and/or repeated words, circle
important words and phrases, and write in the margins”. I incorporated this
into the classroom this week by modeling how to summarize exactly the way the
text instructs. Then, I assigned the students to think about a book they
recently read and to summarize the books or story in their notebooks. I
reminded the students to tell the main ideas of the story without giving away
the ending of the story. Since I was with second graders, I did walk them
through this by asking questions such as: “What is the main ideas in the story?
What are some important details in your story? How do you know they are
important? Did these details cause a problem in the story?”. This assignment
went very well. I only had a couple of students who needed one-on-on or small
group support in completing this assignment.
Chapter ten, Assessment: Looking Closely at Readers, focuses on different aspects of assessing. The main point of this chapter is making sure the assessments used in the classroom are authentic, ongoing, and informative. Taking notes is a part of every guided reading lesson, and reflecting on the anecdotal notes allows us to see patterns and behaviors that change over time (p.182). Since I technically never had my own classroom with the same students, I do find it to be overwhelming to think about organizing all the assessment information on my students. I’ve been in classrooms where the teacher used sticky notes for everything, but that never seemed like a good idea. It only caused their desk to look like a complete mess in my opinion. The organizational technique I learned about in this chapter that I would like to adopt into the classroom would be the class grid for each subject taught, the monthly class list for reading, and the individual student forms (pgs. 191-194). The examples given in the text for thee organizational techniques appear to be very effective
Hi Tatiana. I really enjoyed reading your blog! I can relate to your experience of inferring because I thought for awhile that it was the same as predicting. Once I researched it I found the difference. Then, I found an activity in which I could use brown paper bags and give the students clues on what was in the bag to practice inferring. This actually worked as I explained to students that this was the same when they are using this skill while reading. Also, I read chapter 10 on assessments this time and I love the notebook organization. At this point the previous teacher used sticky notes and have them posted in the notebook neatly, but like you I do not use that process. I am reorganizing the notebook because I like to use forms to look at when monitoring my students.
ReplyDeleteThank you! The brown paper bag activity sounds great and I plan to use that activity one day. I also plan to use the notebook for organizing to better monitor my students.
DeleteHey Tatiana! I enjoyed reading your blog post. I also thought that inferring was a lot like predicting. I liked the insight that the authors of this book provided. I can relate to wanting to be organized. I can't function in a messy classroom and I have to have all of my assessment tools organized in a neat notebook. I like to be able to reference to things quickly and easily.
ReplyDeleteThank you! I'm the same way. When I substitute in classrooms that are messy, I tend to get a little confuse. I plan to use the notebook strategy when the time comes.
DeleteI like the example of inferring the season based on the weather and type of clothing. Haha! Your frustration with students whose answers confused their peers reminded me of my friend who was teaching what she thought was an excellent lesson about tornadoes.When she asked her students to draw a picture of a tornado, one of her students proudly showed a picture of a big red TOMATO! You can't win 'em all!
ReplyDeleteYour concern about organizing assessments is valid. It is dizzying trying to imagine not only performing all of those assessments but organizing them in way that would allow you to make decisions about groups and strategies on a weekly basis.
Thank you! That's so humorous that the student decided to draw a tomato. I've noticed it's usually the students who aren't being mentally stimulated enough who go off the tracks. But, I'll figure out a way to address their needs or interest better.
DeleteHi Tatiana,
ReplyDeleteI appreciate your reflections on this chapter and how you always connect what you are reading with your own classroom practice. Like you, I've had students share their connections with the texts they are reading but many times they would be assumptions based on their own experience but not explicitly connected to the text they are reading. You shared how this chapter really helped you understand inferring and how to teach it to our students through modeling. Thank you also for sharing your thoughts on assessment practices and the specific strategies highlighted in this chapter that you find helpful.
Sincerely,
Dawn and Melissa
Thank you! These chapters were very informative!
Delete