Wednesday, March 1, 2017

What You Should Know About Interactive Read-Alouds and Difficulties That May Arise When Teaching Reading (Ch. 6&7)

It's important to remember to read a wide variety of books to students. Using those picture books to teach is called an interactive read-aloud. "An effective interactive read-aloud has children talking before, during, and after reading" (Johnson & Keier). In order for students to construct ideas, negotiate meanings, and develop independent thought, it's important for students to talk about their thinking. Inviting students to talk during interactive read-alouds helps keep them engaged in the book. There are a few things to think of or do before or during an interactive read-aloud. First, before reading, it's important to build background knowledge in order for students to focus on what the book is going to be about. Second, when students are able to talk to a partner, "they have a chance to connect to the book personally as they share their prior knowledge" (Johnson & Keier). Interactive read-alouds allows teachers to model what readers do and how they think. "Multiple experiences such as these establish a solid foundation for children as they become independent readers and thinkers" (Johnson & Keier).

Interactive read-alouds model for all students, even those who are struggling. Teachers have to make sure to find the strengths of all students. Directionality, thinking strategies, phonics, phonemic awareness, self-monitoring, and fluency are all important to focus on in order for students to be successful. Thinking about reading allows for the student to anticipate what the story might be about and to predict the story line. It also allows them to search and gather from the pictures to make meaning. It's also important to make sure that the students are able to self-monitor. The earlier the child can self-monitor, the faster he or she will be able to become a fluent reader. As a teacher, it's important to reinforce any checking or confirming behavior. The book also listed many suggestions for teachers if they are feeling overwhelmed. These include observing another teacher, asking for help, and celebrating every learning achievement that the struggling student makes. Challenging students will help make you a stronger literacy teacher. After gaining experience and knowledge, you will figure out what is right for your students.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Kayla,

    I enjoyed reading your post on chapters six and seven. I also felt like Catching the Readers Before They Fall really puts emphasis on making sure the teacher is taken into consideration as well. The chapters give great advice on how to not get overwhelmed reading teaching literacy. I like how these chapters teach us teachers that it's okay to not be 100% sure about knowing how to reach all the students. With experience and knowledge, teaching literacy will definitely get less discouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am reading the same book as well. I wish I had this book before I started teaching. I remember feeling overwhelmed when I first started teaching guided reading. This book provides great insight for where to begin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interactive read alouds were one of my favorite teaching times. I loved reading the clever books that are available now. And I LOVE to read. I felt like I could get so much many different facets of teaching covered in one small amount of time. I enjoyed interacting with my children about books and what they knew. As I read about finding more time to allow students to read independently, I thought about trimming some of this interactive reading time down, but, now, maybe not!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interactive read alouds I agree are so important and fun! I use the book Interactive Read Alouds by Linda Hoyt to plan some of my reading mini-lessons because they cover most of the reading strategies in the areas such as comprehension like prediction, author's purpose and many more. It also includes suggested books and suggested lessons on how to teach your students. I love this text also because it includes opportunities for shared reading that can be reproducible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kayla,
    For this blog post you shared what you learned about interactive read alouds including Johnson and Keier's definition of this strategy as well as some important components to remember when implementing including building background knowledge and modeling metacogntive strategies intentionally during the read aloud. You shared how interactive reading is helpful for all students because the teacher can intentionally model strategic skills that can improve the students' ability to self monitor.

    Thanks,
    Dawn and Melissa

    ReplyDelete