What I’ve read so far in the book (Chapters One and Two) entitled, “No More
Independent Reading Without Support”, by Miller & Moss (2013), is that
the teacher must provide support and effective interventions for all of their
students, which includes developing and good readers. Helping students to
time-manage their reading inside and outside of class is important to help
better their reading habits. It is important for teachers to find time for
their students to read for meaning and to discuss their reading with others.
Encouraging collaboration amongst students and teachers during reading
instruction is a proven reading strategy to help students construct their ideas
and to learn from each other. “Teachers need to talk about how they make
meaning of a text so that the process is “visible” to students” (Miller &
Moss, pg. 18, 2013). I incorporate many different strategies to encourage open
and constructive dialogue before and after a reading activity or lesson. “For
children to develop the habits and identity of thoughtful, strategic,
proficient readers, they need to practice and, to make their practice
productive, they need the tools that we can provide through interaction”
(Miller & Moss, pg. 1). I always try to get my students motivated and
involved in real-life situations and debates regarding important health issues
(reading materials) so that they
share ideas and assist one another through problem-solving techniques for finding
common solutions. I focus on building content vocabulary, fluency,
comprehension, phonemic awareness, and accuracy. I’ve read about the importance
of reading scaffolding techniques that my developing readers can use to help
them with information texts and other reading genres. Before I introduce
different reading texts to my students, I observe to see what they know from
the reading, and to see if the reading is comprehensible for them. I think it
is important for all teachers to implement similar independent and whole-class
reading practices in the school so students know how to read productively, and
that they are supported during the entire day when it comes to reading for
mastery. School administrators should also be willing to support a school-wide
literacy/reading program and allow their teachers to try new proven reading
practices for diverse readers.
Thursday, April 13, 2017
Blog 1
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Damonte',
ReplyDeleteI am glad that you chose this text to read as part of your Foundations of Reading course work. You shared how you are working to implement daily time for students to read and also for you to provide support for their independent reading in your instructional time. I know that this is a struggle as a highschool physical education teacher, and I appreciate the many ways you are working to incorporate the strategies suggested from the course into your instruction.
Sincerely,
Dawn and Sam