Saturday, February 18, 2017

Blog Post 2: Chapters Four and Five of Catching Readers Before They Fall

I've really been enjoying this book, Catching Readers Before They Fall. The title for chapter four is Beyond "Sound It Out". This chapter was very informative to me because it teaches teachers different ways they can help their students in solving words. The chapter teaches three ways that proficient readers read: Meaningful information, structural knowledge, and visual information. The text states, "Students need to learn the importance of paying attention ti the visual information in print, beginning, with how to notice the first letter. They also need to check their predictions against the letter information or number of words on the page. Finally, they need to take on the responsibility of checking for themselves and not waiting for someone else to monitor their errors for them". The part of the chapter that I've been making sure to use more in the classroom is asking the students questions after they finish reading. Asking the students questions like, "Does that make sense?" can really help me to guide the students in the direction that they need to go regarding their reading comprehension skills. In the chapter, it discusses how teachers can purposely make mistakes in front of the students so that they can tell the teacher what they did wrong. I've tried this strategy only to have confused the students, so I think this is best for more advanced or sufficient readers. 


I previously found teaching students to use a balance of the sources of information like meaning, structure, and visual to be difficult. After reading pages 64-66 I figured the best way for me to teach balance of sources of information is to use it in my morning message. This chapter provided several prompts that help the students to be able to self-initiate problem solving. 


 Chapter five, A Comprehensive Literacy Framework, focuses on how the classroom instruction and environment is designed to help the needs of the readers. The chart on page 73 of the components of a comprehensive literacy framework. The text gives a great example of when children are participating in reading/writing to, reading/writing with, and reading/writing by. The chapter states, "If we want to support children as they build an effective reading process system, then we must show them what it looks like when a proficient reader is using his or her system. Shared reading provides a place to do just that". When I use the components of a comprehensive literacy framework on page 73, I always make sure to remind the students to make sure they are using the information they've already learned to help guide them or to make sure they are self-monitoring. 


4 comments:

  1. I chose the same book as you! I can relate to what you said about the classroom environment. I agree, the environment should be designed to help the needs of readers. In my classroom, I label everything with a picture and words so that my students can connect print to pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tatiana,
    I really like the book you chose as well because the authors really help us understand the three different cueing systems our readers use: Meaningful information, structural knowledge, and visual information. This chapter aligns well with our Module 3 Miscue Analysis that you read articles and watched videos on this past week. You shared how you want to try out the authors' idea of teaching these cueing systems during morning message. I love the quote you shared from the text about the importance of student application of the proficient reading system that students are using and how we can encourage and model metacognition or self-monitoring of their reading system. I am glad that you are enjoying this text and that it continues to be beneficial for your teaching practice.

    Sincerely,
    Dawn and Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tatiana,
    I agree that students need to check for themselves and not wait for someone else to monitor their errors. I also think that it is a process for a child to learn to monitor his or her own "miscues". Then the student will be an effective and, over time, more advanced. However, if they rely on someone else, then he or she will not be able to become advanced on their own, or maybe not at all. I like that you found a spot in your routine (morning message) that works for your students and for you to incorporate teaching meaning, structure, and visual.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading is strategic. Through observations, teachers need to guide students through various practices on understanding what is read. If teachers maximize time with students through guided reading,conferences and creating a goal for students, it would allow students to become better readers.

    ReplyDelete