Saturday, February 11, 2017
Catching Readers Before They Fall chapters 1 & 2
This post is going to cover my readings for chapters 1 & 2.
I knew there was a process for reading, I guess I still find myself amazed at all of the things we do in milliseconds that we have to break down for children one step at a time while also not making that the only strategy we use.
I continue to find myself going back to something the author's said early in chapter 1 - the most important safety net for struggling readers is going to be their classroom teacher. My next thought was "wow, how do classroom teachers find that 1 student out of all 25 or 30 of them and say "okay, you and I are going to work together to improve your reading".
I also find myself thinking about how if I were a classroom teacher, how would I restructure things to assist them in working on their reading and helping them to establish the strategies that I don't even remember establishing.
I think for me, the one thing that I continuously come back to is, I'm not a classroom teacher. This has bothered me for a while, a lot of the things mentioned here are geared toward classroom teachers - which they should be since the responsibility they have is so terribly important.
I have come to some important conclusions... I can be helpful to the classroom teacher, I can make sure that the things my student needs are there for them when they need it. I can help to mitigate, to the best of my ability, the things that are making this process-building mission that much harder. These are things like if they are a student that has some vision, are their environmental factors that are making the process more difficult? Some of these could be things like is it too dark, is the spot they're sitting in too bright or are they facing toward a window and is this causing glare? If they are having materials enlarged, how large is it, how many letters can they get on a screen at once? If they can only get part of a word, they are having to memorize the word, then memorize the word in the context of the sentence and then try to comprehend what it was that they just read. That just sounds exhausting and it's a wonder that any Visually Impaired child learns to read at all - but somehow they do, somehow I did too.
I had the thought that maybe I could reinforce the skills and the reading strategies that the teacher is working on in class when I pull the student out for supplementary instruction. I don't know if it would be appropriate for me to do things like a miscue analysis but maybe it would be helpful to mention things I notice they are having difficulties with when they are reading.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Nancy,
ReplyDeleteI appreciate you taking time to reflect on the first two chapters of your book and specifically consider what a classroom teacher does to support individual students' readings. You shared how while you are currently not a classroom teacher, you do work to help support your student's needs to ensure that they are met, considering things like their classroom environment, materials, and preparedness. You are right...reading is a complex, cognitive process that is multi-faceted and teaching a child to read is simultaneously a science and an art. Amazingly our beautiful and resilient children learn to read with strategic support and just right books and teachers who never give up. *Remember in your blog posts to include at least two quote citations in your blog post and two respond to at least two peers' blogs to receive full credit. Let me know if you have any questions.
Sincerely,
Dawn and Melissa
Hi Nancy. On your comment about how to determine which students to work with on reading, a schedule would be a great idea on what days you meet with certain students to conference. I actually determine what to conference with them about based on what I observe during their running records.
ReplyDelete